Engaging the local community
Call for local volunteers!
We are very keen for local volunteers to get involved in this project and help YMCA centres establish fabulous orchards on their local sites!
If you would like to be part of the project, please speak to a support or youth worker at your local YMCA (you can find your local YMCA here) or contact YMCA England at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If they are not part of the project this year they can get involved in the next round so why not encaurage them to apply!
There are many opportunities for community members to get involved, including roles:
- for the green-fingered pensioner who can help prune and care for new trees;
- for the design student who can create professional looking Apple Day posters;
- for the local YMCA resident who is a social media pro who can help spread the word and get other youngsters to support their mates
- for local school children who can dress trees for Wassailing or use well known favourite recipes to make apple pies, cakes and jams;
- for the local greengrocer who can sell school-grown fruit;
- for the local builder who can help to create seating, sculptures or mosaics to make new orchards even more attractive places in which to stop and sit.
We have seen plenty of examples where teams of volunteers have been helping to harvest city fruit for years, redistributing the surplus to community cafes, nurseries, Surestart schemes and individuals on a non-profit basis.
So organise, invite, celebrate, share and witness how the orchards can transform your own community!
Click here to discover the benefits of community orchards
And here are some ideas on how to get your local community involved:
Organise a Fruit Appeal with your local YMCA centre:
Join your local YMCA and help them identify and collect local fruit that otherwise would have gone to waste! Encourage local people to bring the fruit to your YMCA centre, help them identify the variety, encourage them to try it and share ideas with them on how the fruit could be used!
Organise a Fruit Day:
Once fruit is collected by the YMCA centres they could use the fruit to create and share fruit based produce with their local community. A simple cake sale raising money for the local centre would be a great option!
Be creative when looking for opportunities to educate and inspire the wider community about local fruit and share your ideas and success stories with us so that we can, in turn, help other YMCA centres inspire thousands more neighbours and friends nationally to try new local fruit varieties.